The Rats Nest

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Is The End Near?


The past few weeks I have witnessed with my own two eyes a sign that the apocalypse is right around the corner. I am all about floating some of the larger waters that can accommodate larger fishing watercraft such as a drift boat. I for one own a full size drift boat, and float the Housatonic from time to time when the flows allow me to do so. I have also floated the Farmington in that same boat, but under extremely high water conditions of 1,500 cfs -2,500 cfs, a time when wading is not even an option. The only reason I would float the river at that flow is because even the skinniest of riffles are barely passable in a solid boat. The other thing is this, due to the rivers medium size, and bottle necked smaller size in some areas, floating the river in larger watercraft is really not something that should even come to mind to anyone, and floating the river at those above listed flows should only be done by those with some experience behind the oars, as a few areas of the watershed at that flow are pretty technical.
Before I lose sight of the purpose of this blog lets get back on point. Last week I witnessed the unthinkable, someone in their infinite wisdom decided to launch a full sized solid drift boat on the Farmington and float through the TMA at 550 cfs. I am very surprised that those who were on the river that day never commented about this as I am certain that this encroached upon several other anglers, and to be quite honest with you, is complete overkill for this watershed. I am certain that person probably will not take part in that activity again in the near future as I am pretty sure they beat up the bottom of their boat pretty good. Not only is this completely inconsiderate to those wade anglers who already, combined with all the other water enthusiasts the river gets this time of year, it probably sent every fish running to the hills after every knock, smash and thump that watercraft made as it traversed the broken water that day.
My suggestion, keep the larger watercraft off the Farmington at those flows, if a valuable lesson wasn’t learned that day, let this blog further prevent anyone else from doing the same as a monkey see monkey do mentality is all we need. The Farmington simply cannot support heavy drift boat traffic at those flows, and if this spawns a future flotilla of hard boats down the river you can basically spell the end to the fishery. Sometimes you have to use your head, and clearly this wasn’t the case.
I thought that I had seen it all when a paddle boat floated by me and a friend last week in the TMA. Then the drift boat episode took the cake. Word to the wise, keep the hard boats and larger fishing vessels to the bigger rivers like the Housatonic, or better yet the Delaware, unless of course the river is high and nobody is on it. My 2 cents.....

Blog Archive