The Rats Nest

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ross Evolution LT #3






Well to say I was psyched when the Fed-ex guy came today is an understatement. I just got my new Ross Evolution LT and out of the box I am absolutely awestruck. Being a huge fan of it's predecessor, I honestly didn't think that Ross could improve upon what many deemed fly reel perfection. The reel is not only ridiculously light, it is a very aesthetically pleasing piece of modern engineering.

After gorging on turkey all day tomorrow, I will be on my way

to the shores of lake Erie for some steelhead action. I couldn't find a better way to break this little masterpiece in. Stay tuned for the ongoing blogroll, as their will be more to follow come Friday....Happy Thanksgiving to all







Update 1:

Day 1 with the new reel, several steelhead hooked, very few to hand but one close to 10 pounds landed and no problems. (will add the picture later) I fought a pure chromer all of 15 pounds for a good 5 minutes, literaly blowing the pool we were fishing to shreds! The drag performed flawlessly, and was very smooth. Lost the bruiser when she decided to run right when I grabbed the reel handle to get a little ground on her, snap! What you gonna do, it happens. The only bonus, I got the chance to really put some pressure on the new reel, and it performed to task. More to follow. Sorry for the semi decent pics, a little rain impeded the shots.


**Update 2**







Even though Josh is smiling, it ain't because the conditions are good. Rain off lake Erie pushed the rivers up, mud pit city so we headed east, to combat fishing central, but I still managed to catch one small mini-me. We hit a not so secret spot off of lake Ontario, later in the day however. Didn't matter, we immediately caught fish. I was destroyed once again on a big steelhead. Went something like this: drift, hooked, bonkers first run, thought the beast was tamed, two leaps off to the races around two boulders over. We landed some browns, domestic rainbows, and steelhead all around 5-7 pounds. No whoppers but a great time, the new reel is continuing to perform above standard.


**Update 3**

Well, the weekends over, the miserable ride home is over. We managed to put over a thousand miles on my truck, as well as fish three separate river systems. No real whoppers landed on the trip, I managed to hook two 15+ pound steelhead on this trip, no dice landing them. Jeff rounded the trip out on or last day with the hot hand, pictures below, landing a few nice steelies. Josh hung in there for his first real experience with great lakes trib fishing only landing one smaler steelies. No worries though, he saw enough to make him want to go back for more.










The one thing I will say is my new reel worked out great. No issues to speak of, the drag worked perfect, and had plenty of juice slow down even the mightiest of steelhead. If you are in the market for a new reel this year I highly recommend checking out the new Evolution LT series of reels by Ross reels. It might just be the finest reel I have ever had the pleasure of using. Once again Ross has combined a great look, superior drag engagement and stopping power in a ridiculously light moderately priced reel. A+ in my book.

The only blemish to the entire excursion was me blowing my back out Sunday morning. Pure pain is all I have to say, having a recurring bulging disc issue from previous powerlifting/bodybuilding years, every once in a while things go haywire. I grinned and beared it, I wasn't going to let my two fishing partners down and after about a 15 minute fiasco of putting on waders and gear I made the trek to the river. It was worth it, not only did Jeff have a good showing, I managed to loosen up my back a bit which was a god send for the 6+ hour ride home. I am not a 100% by any means, but it definitely helped. See you soon with the next installment.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Blog Archive