The Rats Nest

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Finally, A Day To Fish Once Again!


 It's hard to believe that the last time I wet a line myself, was over 4 weeks ago.  Boy today was well deserved, and even though the fishing wasn't off the charts, it was pleasant as always.  This past month has been very very busy; wifes nearing the end of her pregnancy, works been nuts, the days off have seen guided trips, fly orders, presentations and all kinds of interesting new things from my daughter of almost 2 now.  It's hard to believe she's going to be 2 in a few weeks, my how time flies.   

I was taken back a bit today, headed out of local territory to one of my old haunts when I lived a bit north of Connecticut.  So Josh and I get out of the truck and we are greeted by a very nice fellow, good conversation ensues, and he says, "Hey you're that Rich Strolis guy, aren't you?"  Dumbfounded, I said, "Ya that's me".  Some gracious compliments about the tying videos ensued, and some fishing stories abounded.   Never thought I would go somewhere and be recognized, I really did'nt know how to respond at first, I kind of like to keep under the radar for the most part, but it was very nice to get some gracious compliments, thanks for the kind words, now back to fishing.

The one thing I will say, Massachusetts has their S**t together when it comes to managing a trout area.  The sign says it all, catch and release no fish or bait in possession.  When the hell is Connecticut going to get on the same page, I mean really?  Bait in a Trout Management Catch and Release Area makes no sense to me at all, but then again what do I know.   Hopefully someday we will see some changes in this particular area, some say it will never happen, I tend to disagree...
Well, the flows were a fraction of what I like them to be, but we made the trek and weren't going to turn around.  We managed a few fish, a few dropped one's too, all fish succumbed to micro midges and blue winged olive imitations.  I had planned on doing some French Style nymphing today, but due to the wind that idea went in the garbage quickly.  I realized today that I have to tie a broader spectrum of lighter weighted anchors as I had everything but the magic weight today.  Oh well, you always learn something new, sometimes at the cost of being successful.  

I did manage to stick that fairly decent sized bow in the picture, which was the icing on the cake for the day as everything including the nice weather deteriorated as the clock ticked on.  Afterwards, a robust burger and a Copper Ale topped off the day's excursion, boy, spring can't get here fast enough, well for me at least. 

Blog Archive