The Rats Nest

Friday, February 26, 2010

Streamers Never Get Old, And You Can Never Have Enough...

So I have permanently affixed myself to my tying bench as of late.  I somehow concocted some sort of bacterial virus after our visit at the hospital, and it has run it's course for the most part.  Started out with a 100 degree fever, chills, shakes, sweats, razor blades sore throat and all kinds of science projects in my mouth.  I think last weekend I was so messed up I spent 36 hours in bed.   
I felt really bad as I couldn't even hold my little girls until today as I have been contagious.  I was basically so ill I couldn't even tie flies, that's pretty darn hard to believe, my wife was even shocked by this.  Nothing usually keeps me away from my little quiet space in our basement, thousands of hours have been spent there over the years, and some pretty cool stuff has emerged.  Lately I have been tying in quantity and succession so it was a pleasant reprieve to be able to kick the ole heels up and have some creative fun for a change.  I think my old artistic side comes out when I get to tie under times like these, a lot of times I get an idea and run down there and try to concoct what's on my mind, other times you will find piles of half finished ideas that never panned out.


Well Needless to say I'm slowly but surely on the mend, and tying up fly orders, guide flies, and experimental concoctions as this is what I do.  So on to these new streamers that I conjured up this evening.  
I like the zonker and rabbit strips because of their inherent movement qualities is a plus, and Ive always liked the double bunny, hell I even like those new concept minnows by Fox Statler himself, so I guess a melting pot of ideas went into this  pattern.  So far I like what I see, and they looked even better in the testing tank....I have only conjured up three color schemes thus far, but by days end tomorrow I should have 6-10 killer colors schemes to work with.  The over-sized aluminum eyes by Hareline are stellar, they add realism without excessive weight, but will ensure that the hook rides point up as displayed in the pictures.  I just hope these bloody bastards prove to be as effective as they look.  Tune in mid season when I give you the lowdown from testing these lovely morsels out on my local rivers....

Blog Archive