The Rats Nest

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Quietly At Work Perfecting A Different Technique...



So over the past few months I have quietly jumped in with both feet learning the ins and outs of some of the long leader competition nymph techniques.  More commonly known by some as "euro-nymphing, Spanish nymphing, french nymphing", what ever you want to call it.  As luck would have it prior to several guide trips this year and on several of my own personal endeavors I ventured into "dialing in" this method for my home waters, in an effort to be on the upper edge of whats new.  I have found from my experiences that the longer leader methods in my opinion are much more versatile than the typical short line Czech or polish style nymph techniques as it allows you to branch out and fish many different water types very effectively.

Let me tell you about one of my recent experiments just to bring you up to speed with the effectiveness in this technique.  Prior to a guide trip last week, I ventured out into a short section of water that is usually fairly productive.  I had a limited amount of time so I wanted to see just how well I could do within a short window, and for this times sake I was going to count the number of fish I hooked and landed, just as a measure of my success or failure.  Here's the tally:  35 minutes of fishing, 27 trout the largest was 19 inches and the smallest at 12.  To go with that number, 12 Atlantic Salmon Parr were also landed that averaged about 6-7 inches.  Pretty damn effective in my book.  I will be the first to tell you that I spoke down about this stuff a couple years back as I saw no difference between Czech or polish tight lining and high sticking.  But, in all honesty the long leader methods intrigued me and I gave in, and will be the first to admit that I was way off on these techniques. 

My good buddy and fishing partner Mike fell in with this stuff this past week and we amassed a pretty amazing tally of fish on a super tough wild trout fishery.  I won't even begin to tell you how many fish we caught as I don't want to be labeled as a braggart.  Besides, most people who fished there would think I was lying anyway.   The pictures attached are just a few highlights of the fish that were caught that day.   Look for me with my 10-1/2 foot 3 weight Echo Shadow PE from now on, as I will be terrorizing fish in a riffle near you...  More to come on that fly rod, Ive had mine for 2 weeks now, and it is in my opinion, "The Euro-Nymphing Rod", Period.

Blog Archive