The Rats Nest

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Persistence Pays

John Working A Nice Drift
 Opening day of Baseball season, longer days of daylight, birds singing, water temps rising and fishing feeding more and more readily each day.  These are some of the things I look forward to each and every spring.  When the Final Four is in check and the bats and gloves are out, I know that great fishing is only a few weeks away.  Kicking off my 2011 guide season a little late this year, my first trip on the second to last day of March is rather unusual considering the last 3-4 years I managed a trip or two a week right through the winter.  I guess this past winter had a lot to do with that,  making each and every day on the water that much more enjoyable and worth while knowing that the worst weather is behind us, well, sort of.
Mid Presentation

The Reward After A Long Day
 I mean, what could be better an April Fools joke than waking up to fresh snow on the ground, miserably messy roads, and a bitter chill in the air.  I damn near snapped a tooth this morning while I gritted my teeth in disgust at the sight of that damn white stuff falling on my lawn that I finally could see again.  At least the filthy white garbage melted by mid afternoon. Well enough of the complaining,  back to the first trip.

John and Andrew are true die-hards, they grin and bared what most people would have easily given up on.  A day of missed opportunities could best sum up our time up.   Wanting to work on their nymph skills,  with the water temps still in the high 30's, we rigged up with indies and a pair of nymphs and hit some high percentage water.  A few good hook ups early, but dropped fish left us optimistic, but weary.   A quick demonstration of some of the nuances of the craft had me hooked up at a most inopportune time, and I opted for the break off, as poor Andrew had just run drifts through the same piece of water for at least 30-45 minutes.  After hitting several  high percentage runs without anything to show for it,  John managed to squeak out a respectable brown with about 10 minutes left in our day.  Persistence paid in this case, as is evident in John's smile.
Waiting For Scenes Like These

All was not lost, as Andrew and John both said although humbling, today was an eye opener at the very least.  Being used to fishing during the prime months of May, June and July, the two felt a bit spoiled at the fact that fishing that time of the year is a much different game, where fish tend to hook themselves, and less concentration is needed upon every inch of your drift.  Even though the boys walked away with a bunch of new tips to add to their nymphing bag of tricks and few fish to hand, they were very excited on the things that they learned, ad are eager for warmer days, greener foliage, blanket hatches,  hungry trout and the chance to employ their new tricks.

I too can't wait for things to feel more like spring, I just hope we don't have a repeat of last year when it went from snow to 90's without anything in between. 

Blog Archive