The Rats Nest

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Why I Guide.

Jack And His First Fly Caught Trout
Some say a picture's worth a thousand words.  In this case, I'd say times 10.  When I started guiding I can honestly say I don't know exactly why; the challenge, a sense of confidence, I can't quite tell.  But it had something to do with seeing if I had what it took to place people in my hands on the water, and magically impress upon them the knowledge that I had gained over thousands and thousands of hours and days on the water, in hopes of making them better fisherman, all in the meanwhile doing so in a professional and pleasant manner.  At one point, when it was I can't say for certain, I truly "got it".  In other words, I realized why I really go into guiding.  Helping others, and most importantly those that are most impressionable, kids.  Kids like Jack in the picture are what make it all worthwhile, ten fold.  Let Jacks smile bring us all back to our youth when we first learned to chase trout or any fish for that matter, and the life long pursuit was born.  

Jack reminds me of myself when I was a boy, it was a great experience today, and when his father said that he is a seasoned fisherman who eats sleeps and breaths the sport, I knew it was going to be a fun morning.  When I say this guy is a fishing machine, I mean it.  Trout beware, there's a new kid in town, in a few years this guy is going to be a force to be reckoned with.  Keep it up buddy

Blog Archive