The Rats Nest

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Some Experimentation

Micro Tube With Some New Materials

Same Flies, And Others Under UV Light...
So there is a time and a place for just about anything, especially in fly fishing.   I know these days, bigger seems to be better when it comes to streamers, and many of the newer patterns out there are pushing the envelope in all sorts of directions in terms of materials, size, movement, articulation etc.  Sometimes, the smaller stuff can be the ticket, and like all of us from time to time we have the tendency to forget about things we once did.  Small streamers can really change a day of a thousand casts into a day of many fish. 

Fishing with a two handed rod, even for trout has made me switch up my plan of attack on the river.  I have found that more often than not, a smaller pattern in the round will outproduce the larger jointed nasty deals that I myself am very fond of.  Combine that with some really practical new products courtesy of Hareline, and I am finding all kinds of simple productive patterns affixed both to smaller tubes and on barbless streamer hooks. 

See if you can figure out the direction I am going with this...

Switch Rod Victim....


There are many methods one can employ with the switch rod, this isn't merely a 1/4 downstream cast, swing step set up.  Although I have been limiting my tactics on occasion to swung and stripped streamer concoctions, I am finding that dry fly, wet fly and of course nymph tactics are very practical on these rigs.  Here is just a short sampling of what I have been playing around with lately. 

Stay tuned, some fresh new videos are on the horizon......

Blog Archive