The Rats Nest

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Note To Self, Don't Leave Home Without A Memory Card In Your Camera.

 For January, I would have to say the fishing today was very good.  I set off for the river after picking up my oldest from preschool and was stream side at about noon.  The first spot I started was devoid of fisherman; god I love the winter.  From the second I ran my first series of drifts, I knew I was going to have a nice little afternoon on the river. 

The photos attached are only a smattering of the fish I managed to bring to hand today as these were all taken on the built in memory on my digital camera, or later with my IPhone (didn't even remember I had it in my pocket till near the end of the day).  That's right, I left the house without a memory card in my camera, what a toolbox.  Fortunately I had my phone with me or else I might not have had any photos for today's post.

The mild weather has had the fish on the bite and today was everything I could have asked for considering I've been cooped up like a chicken for the past 3-4 weeks.


As you can see I had a nice mixed bag of holdover and wild medium sized browns with a few bows in the mix.  I did manage to stick a couple of nicer fish that were in the 19 inch class, only one however made film.

As for bugs, there were some midges mid afternoon, and loads of winter caddis on the rocks dancing around.   I stayed underneath all day, drifting small weighted midges and winter stones in a tight line rig in water that was medium paced and riffled.  I'd say half of my catch fell to my Winter Stone in black while the other half fell to various beaded midge larva.


 I still to this day enjoy catching trout on tiny flies.  This is something I did much more frequently about 5-6 years ago, but have found myself migrating back to when I am not faced with a good day of streamer conditions.

Enjoy the last day of warmer weather while you can, as winter is finally coming and staying for a bit later this week.  The only nice thing is the stones are getting active earlier than normal this year so adjust accordingly.
Before I forget, I have a new "stick" in transit for the nymph arsenal.  Although I have grown extremely fond of my Echo Shadow 10-1/2 foot 3 weight for all of my tight line tactics, I just couldn't resist from grabbing one of the new ESN rods from Sage.  I have to admit, I have a bundle of sticks for nymph fishing, and I have found myself grabbing the Shadow, prefering it over the competition.  I even like it better than it's competitors 11 foot rods, that's how much I trust that stick.  I went with the 3 weight as it falls somewhere in the middle as a multi use tight line rod

So, I guess we will have to wait and see where the ESN falls in my personal preferences, not that my opinion really matters.  From what I have read, it is "the" rod right now for tight line tactics.  That is a pretty bold statement, but, I will say that Sage does produce some of the finest rods on the market today, and I have been pretty partial to several of their series' over the years.  I shall report my findings after I spend some time on the water with the new rod.



Blog Archive