The Rats Nest

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fly Tying Updates, Fly Orders And The Start Of February...

Been a busy guy lately.  2012 has started out on fire and I am very thankful for every body's interest in my fly patterns.  I have been fortunate enough to have been given some leeway with some of my orders recently, and have had some really cool things coming off the vise. When I get the opportunity to customize an order it is a lot of fun.   Coming up with new color combinations and designs within designs really keeps the creative juices flowing.   In all actuality, it really breaks things up after tying dozens and dozens of the same fly over and over again.

If you recall, a couple of months ago I spun up a small selection of customized Meat Helmet Sculpins for a fellow out in Idaho.   After having success with those flies, he reached out again for something different;  some customized Articulated Ice Pick Streamers in color combinations that represented smaller Brook, Brown, Rainbow and Cutthroat Trout after seeing the mini rainbows I posted a few weeks back that are on their way to Chile.  Giving me free reign with this project, I got right on it and below is what I came up with.  My thought was to try and hit on one or two key elements that set each fish aside from the rest while also parlaying that into a sort of trigger.  Here is what I came up with, hope you like them.

All Four Color Combos Together

Rainbow Trout

Brown Trout

Brook Trout

Cutthroat Trout
Aside from the custom streamers above, I have a new deal to announce for the next few weeks.  I call it the Stonefly Madness Selection. The selection consists of what you see below, a mixed bag of my personal stone fly patterns that are good choices for this time of year.  The selection gives the angler a wide variety of small to large patterns for all conditions that can be encountered in the winter months.  These patterns will also work throughout the season so don't feel like this is a one month setup.  There is a mixed bag of weighted and non weighted nymphs for all disciplines of nymph fishing.  For more details on the Stonefly Madness Selection , check out the Fly Deals page.

February Stone Fly Selection



Blog Archive