The Rats Nest

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Customer Spotlight. A Few Kind Words About C-S Flies.

Rainbow Hog Snare, Yummy!

 I'll start things off with a picture from Rob Nicholas of Housatonic Anglers, a good friend and guide who has been hosting trips to Chile for over a decade.  I sent Rob some Custom Hog Snares in Rainbow Trout Colors and he managed this nice 5+ pound brown, that as Rob put it "pummeled" this guy.  Thanks Rob.  I just might be hosting a trip to Chile with Rob in the future, so keep your eyes peeled on that announcement.

I know that I have been fortunate enough to guide several people over the last ten years, as well as pass along many of my flies to probably even more.  I have had numerous positive experiences over that time, and I thank each and every one of you who took the time to say thank you, it truly means a lot.  I thought it would be fitting to include in this blog post a recent testimonial from not only a student who has evolved into quite the fisherman, but from a guy who has become a trusty fly customer and good friend.  Here are a few words from loyal customer and friend JJ.
JJ As Always, Smiling From Ear To Ear...

"Rich, just a few words about my progression as a fly angler since I started in August of 2008. When I first started, my wife would always ask on my return how many times did I fall in the river and how much stuff did I loose.  My answers were generally "a lot" on both.  When I started to utilize your guide services I was only looking to catch a couple of fish and not fall in the river.  Through your tutelage over the last two and a half years, not only do I not fall in as often, but I have become a better than average angler.  Now,  I know where fish hang out during different times of the year, and thanks to you, I fish all year round.   I now know what flies work most of the time,  and I really catch fish.  Also, my progression as a "euro nympher" has really increased my catch ratio.  But despite all the techniques you taught me, your patterns and flies, especially in the sub-surface area have changed the way I fish.   My number one fish catcher is your Rock Candy Larva, followed by the Shimmer Stone, and the newest member the latest Jig nymph. These patterns are so effective that last Sunday in a two hour stretch I brought 25 Browns, Rainbows, and Brook Trout  to my net in addition to breaking a bunch off.  I actually doubled up twice landing in tandem a rainbow and brookie, and then a brown and a brookie!  What a thrill. I can only advise folks who really want to learn how to catch fish to visit your website frequently.  And, If you ever start guiding again, I'll be first in line. Much Thanks for all your patience..  JJ"
One Of JJ's Doubles.  Kissing Cousins As He Termed Them


On another note, May is just around the corner and I just got the word that I will be heading back up to a place I used to make yearly trips to, the Rangeley area of Maine.  The last time I was up there fishing was just about five years ago when my wife Megan was pregnant with our first daughter Tessa.  It seems like forever and a day since I have been up at camp,  and I am truly chomping at the bit to get back up there to chase some square tails and landlocks on one of my favorite watersheds.   In a week or so I will be shutting up the vise for orders for a few so that I can tie up some "bugs" for myself.  I will still accept any and all orders, but the turn around time will be delayed a few days.  
Flats Striper, Not A Giant But Still Fun



The other cool thing about May is I plan on doing some Striper fishing once again this year.  Last season Striper fishing just wasn't in the cards for me, so I guess you could say I have some catching up to do at some of my favorite haunts.  I am really looking forward to wading some flats and fishing some beaches this year for a real change of scenery.  With the current drought and low flows that we are experiencing on most of our watersheds here in the northeast, it's only fitting to change gears a bit.  Plus, it will give me something different to tie aside from all these bugs.  I think I had a nightmare last night about a caddis pupa, a giant green one at that.  Thank god I woke up before he flew off with me in his grille....

Blog Archive