The Rats Nest

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Fishing Season, Some Overdue Fly Pictures And More Fun...

Egg Sac Spinner

Every season when March is in the rear view mirror and April is upon us, there are several things I look forward to that remind me longer days and good weather are on the horizon.  March Madness is wrapped up and a National Champion is crowned; Major League Baseball has it's season openers for all ball clubs, and being a Massachusetts transplant, another year of excitement or heartache watching the Red Sox.  What I also long for is warmer weather, blanket hatches with scores of fish rising,  first light streamer excursions, large browns sipping dries, and new watersheds crossed off the bucket list.
Size 24 Tungsten Midges

The unseasonable weather has ignited a bunch of our major hatches early this season, many of our local Free Stone rivers have already had Hendricksons for over a week already, with Olives for close to a month.  It has been a great spring so far for not only numbers but larger fish too, as many hefty fish have been caught through out New England and it sounds like 2012 is already shaping up to be a great season.
BWO Quill Dun

I decided to keep firm on my promise to showcase some of the patterns in my recent fly orders, and as a result of being a little behind the eight ball on keeping up to date on that,  here are a few quick pictures to wet your appetites.



I also opted  Monday to spend a day with my girls rather than hit the river.  A nice hike in the woods followed by some quality time was a little overdue.  It was nice to get out of the house and spend some time in the outdoors.  Now that the weather is getting better and better every day,  it seemed customary to hit the trails and a small pond with some more than friendly inhabitants, lets just say they girls slept good that night.


Lastly, I have been given a golden opportunity once again, and I am very thankful.  Below is a picture of a new vise that I will be trying out and very possibly turning into my everyday vise.  I will have more on this in the weeks to follow so stay tuned, I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet.....


Blog Archive