The Rats Nest

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Fathers Day, An Exciting New Fly Tying Product And More.

Happy Father's Day out there to all you dads, I hope you all are enjoying your day taking part in some fishing or just hanging  with friends, family, or whomever you are close with.   My creative daughters and wife Megan gave me a great gift that they made together.  The picture below is one of my under armour shirts that I wear to work, as you can see they spruced it up a bit to remind me every time I put it on that they are with me, pretty awesome.

Back to fishing related stuff.  I recently received a few sample spools of the highly touted Veevus threads from Kevin at Performance Flies.  If you know me at all, there are certain items in my massive and ever growing stock of tying materials that I seem to never have enough of.  Aside from various dubbing's of all sorts, tying threads are one of my favorite things to collect.  I literally have dozens and dozens of boxes filled with various threads, some I use often, others I use sparingly.  Overall though,  I burn through dozens of spools every month just filling orders.
A selection of various diameter threads.

I was very excited to try this new thread as I had been hearing some wonderful things about it.  Some of the banter relayed that it has  tremendous breaking strength, a sheen like UTC (one of my favorites) and is easily flattened out and split for dubbing loops, a technique I use daily.  After tying with it a bit, I came to the conclusion that Veevus thread can best be described as a combination of UTC and UNI-thread which is difficult to break, will spin into a tight cord if need be and while also splitting with ease.  This is by far the easiest thread to split for loops, and on numerous occasions when I have just touched UTC to the beak on a Dohiku the thread will fray or break, this stuff on the other hand is like the armor on a tank as it just will just bounce off the hook point.  I guess you could say I am very impressed so far.  I tied several dozen of my last jig orders on this thread and it was a pleasure.   Just look below, this is a picture of the 8/0 veevus that I am wrenching on with a Dohiku size 6 streamer hook.  It is literally bending the hook shank onto the point, something you could never do with straight up UTC 140 or 8/0 UNI.  For tyers of all abilities, this is just a great thread.
Strong as Hell!!

On a final note, Schmidt and I a few months back were bouncing patterns and ideas off each other in an attempt to try and concoct a multi jointed streamer that would really swim nicely.  We both worked out the kinks on a variation of his Red Rocket, as it is a fantastic pattern but one that we both consider on the smaller end of the articulated streamer spectrum.  After some trial and error we both came up with this guy pictured  below.  Three articulations, two small shanks, and lots of motion.  What we will call it is still up in the air, but it is the rockets big brother at a whopping 7-1/2 - 8 inches in overall length.  Don't let that scare you too much, it is extremely light and can be thrown on a 6 weight no problem, honest.   This exact fly took several fish including that nice brown on the Housy the other day,  so it works like a charm.
Mucho Grande Trout Snack, Nom Nom Nom

I will have that fly deal I spoke of last week up and ready by mid week, expect another post showcasing the selection in a few days...

Blog Archive