The Rats Nest

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Don't Let A Little Adversity Ruin Your Trip......

4:25 AM and I am once again awoken to that sound that rattles you to the core.  The dreaded alarm clock, echoing off the four walls of my room, essentially feeling like somebody banging a gong inside my head.  Luckily, I was smart enough to set up the timer on the coffee maker so I was greeted with a nice pot of fresh strong mud to get me going.  Getting up early after getting home late from work (midnight), just seems to get harder and harder the older I get.   Splash the face, fill the travel mug, don the waders and I'm stream bound by 4:45.  I am literally at the waters edge at 5:00 AM and decide to hit a stretch that I haven't fished in a while.  The water wasn't to my liking so I head elsewhere.  I pick my poison, find a deep bank side pocket with a nice overhanging bush.  First cast, and BAMM!! I'm into a solid fish.
Headbanger Sculpin Strikes Again

Fat 2 Year Old, Nice But Not What I Had In Mind

A quick picture and the fish is back in the drink.  I turn a couple more fish in the same run, but I see an overhanging tree that just screams big boy.  I take a couple of casts into the cover and then inevitably hook something solid.  Not what I am intending to hook, as there are no violent head shakes that follow.  Instead, my fly is solidly seated into a submerged limb.   Being fully secure with the fact that real streamer fishing requires the angler to be alright with losing some gear, I figure I can get this guy back.  I am totally comfortable with throwing my flies into deep cover as I know the risks are far outweighed by the rewards, but what ensued was not what I had in mind.  I figure that I can probably wade out, reel up the line right to the tip of the rod and force the fly out with the tip.  Although most rod manufacturers would probably cringe at what I just wrote, it works and has saved many of streamers for me over the years.  Even if it jeopardizes the integrity of the rod, I am not going to give up easily on a good fly.  As I do so, I quickly find out that the hole my fly is buried in, is actually a bottomless abyss and I am now standing in a hole that is clearly over my waders.  The cold water rushing into my waders is a chilling reminder, as is the force of the fast current that is trying to take me downriver, that the river is going to win this time.
Something Wrong Here????

As I try to undue my problem, my rod comes apart and the line snaps.  I reach back and realize that I just lost the tip to my favorite rod.  Pissed to say the least, I frantically look around, flail with my net etc etc.  But to my dismay the tip is gone and I can't even get close to where it may be if it is indeed still there.  So, now with my now 6.75 foot 6 weight, I trudge back to my truck like a beat dog wondering how long I will go without my favorite stick.  Sometimes the river reminds us that we are in fact mortal, the older and wiser I get the more I realize this.  So what's a guy to do?  Well one of two things came to mind, either give up and call it a day, go home lick the wounds and get started on figuring out what I have to do to get a new tip to my javelin or grab the 8 weight from the truck and get back on the horse.  I chose the latter and ended up salvaging the outing, and quite nicely I may add.  What ensued was some very fast and furious streamer fishing.  I managed to do battle with a bunch of nice fish;  a couple more recent 2 year olds, a couple snake like holdovers, one of which had a yellow elastomer over its left eye, and one absolutely spectacular wild brown.  Here are a few photos to wet your whistle, all of these fish were taken in some of the most bewildering pieces of water too.  Enjoy the photos, and yes the big stuff is still working quite well....
Go Home Buddy

Snaky Holdover

Decent Holdover

Token Catching Shadows Logo Shot

Another Snaky Brown

A Perfect Specimen



Blog Archive