The Rats Nest

Monday, September 3, 2012

Some Fly Pictures And New Tying Materials

Hey what the heck, I'll start things off with a picture of another fly order.  I try to put up pictures of the orders that I really enjoyed tying, or were a nice mix of patterns.  This particular one is on it's way to a nice guy out in California, hope it sticks a few piggies.
Micro Nymphs, And Some Jointed Streamers

As you all can see, my free time has been pretty much spent affixed to my vise (not complaining), so a few things like videos and promised gear taken a backseat. (more on that soon, I promise).  Before I forget, I want to give a warm thank you to all of you who signed up for the two streamer classes next month.  I was amazed when both classes filled within a matter of hours, and I even added a couple seats to both.  I am currently working with Grady at Upcountry on working out a third date, so as soon as we get that together, I will let you all know.

If any of you in the audience have been around me, you probably know all too well how passionate I am about our lovely sport of fly fishing, and even more so of fly tying.  When new materials and tying tools come out, I get a little giddy as the gears in my little melon get turning.  Every other year about this time, Hareline Dubbin sends out their bi-annual master catalog.  Hareline, is in my opinion, one of the finest distributors of materials for the retailer, and commercial tyer alike.  They are always looking for cutting edge materials, and only distribute first rate products.  Aside from that, as a regular customer, I can honestly say that they are some of if not the most pleasant people to work with, so much so that I think others need to follow their business plan.  .

Well, it just so happens that this fall is one of those years when the new catalog arrives in the mail, and as always, a nice little care package of sample goodies to inspect, play with, and hopefully figure out that missing ingredient or replacement for something that isn't readily available.  Let's just say that Hareline has a whole slew of new product that will be filtering out to your local fly shop, and of course to guys like myself who have the itch to get creative.  Like anything, there are some that are a little more appealing than others, everyone has different ideas and tastes.  What may be really cool to me may not be to the next guy.

So, enough of the banter, and on to the goods.  Here are a few of the things that I think are really cool and caught my eye.  The first thing that I think is a great little product is the new Loon Mixing Cup.  I can honestly say this little guy is an ingenious little gadget.
A Must Have For Any Bench

The cup is made of a silicone like substance and is pliable.  The cup is meant for use with any of the new light curing resins.  Just squeeze some into the cup, use what you need and then hit the residual resin in the cup with the proper torch.  Once it cures, bend the cup and out pops the left over cured resin, no clean up needed.  Great little product, I've used mine a bunch of times already and I can't imagine life without it. (well, you know what I mean)

The rest of the stuff I am going to detail are all tying materials, and not in any particular order of importance either, I like them all.

Senyo Intruder Wire

The first is pictured above, and as you can see I have already ordered up a complement of each color.  This is going to be an integral piece for all of you out there wondering where to source the wire for building the connections on articulated streamers.  The product is brought to us by Greg Senyo, and is marketed as Senyo's Intruder Wire.  At first glance, one might think it is primarily engineered for trailing hook style streamers for anadromous species.  In actuality, although it can be used for that purpose, it is actually the best choice for articulating streamers.  This stuff comes in a bunch of colors, unlike it's predecessor, beadalon, and ais available in two sizes for various sized streamers.   I have already been using this stuff and it gets my two thumbs up, great product.

The next pile of stuff is a compilation of a product that has become an industry standard for adding flash to any size fly.  Ice dub has been around for quite some time now, with dozens of colors available.  Hareline has added a few new products with the material that have already gotten my gears turning.
Ice Dub Does It Again

The first of which is the two different Shimmer Fringes pictured on the right.  In a nutshell, they took the long fibers and fused them on one end, allowing the tyer to just cut a section and tie it in, great easy concept.  This should open up some avenues for some really easy and effective streamers, who knows, maybe I'll have a video for you on that.  The other products are the Shimmer Sheer and adhesive backed Shimmer Sheer on the left.  Essentially Ice dub fused into a sheet meant for wing cases, wings, cheeks or any other place you want to add some flash.
A Few Of The New Flymen Products

The next batch of interesting products comes from the folks at Flymen Fishing company, makers of the Fish Skull.  Out of all the new products that they introduced, the two that got me jazzed the most were their new molded Living Eyes, which come in a half dozen sizes all the way from 5mm up to 10 mm, in four lifelike colors.  These are some of the nicest molded eyes I have ever seen, with real holographic imaging in their construction, and should finish off any baitfish/streamer pattern very nicely.  The second of note, are the new Senyo Articulated Shanks, which are built a little heavier with an upturned eye, in a bunch of colors and two new sizes, 25mm and 40mm for you steelhead and salmon chasers.  I have a bunch of these on their way, so expect to see some more swinger style streamers in the store as a result.

Grizzly Flutter Legs

The new Grizzly Flutter Legs by Hareline are a cool new addition to the rubber leg category.  They are silicone, flat instead of round, and are in a pile of color combinations.  They move even more than round rubber, at least the folks at Hareline claim, and they look really good too.  Expect to see some of these incorporated into some of my patterns in the near future.
Micro Lateral Scale

The last product that really caught my eye was the new micro sized Lateral Scale by Heddon.  The original product is stellar, but for most of the freshwater streamers that I tie, it is a bit too large and doesn't quite move enough for my liking.  This new size should fit the bill nicely, and hopefully it will be a hot seller, so much so that they offer the other color combos in this size in the not so distant future.
CCG Molded Eyes.

That pretty much rounds out the new stuff that really appeals to me, some of the other things of note that you may see me playing around with in the near future are the new Frosted Tipped rabbit strips, plastic dumbbell eyes by Clear Cure Goo,  Veevus threads, Hot tipped crazy legs and the Arctic Fox Zonkers for those big toothy critter patterns.  Keep your eyes on the blog, it should be a fun and creative few months ahead.....


Blog Archive