The Rats Nest

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Rainbow Trout


This week I found myself knee deep in water I hadn't fished in quite some time.  Heading 30 minutes north of the border, I managed to position myself in some familiar water I used to call home many years ago.  2012 has been a year of exploration for me, as I have spent more time on rivers old and new more so than on my home waters of the Farmington.

I have also made a conscious effort to employ methods other than nymphs a priority this year as evidenced by my blog posts if you've been following.  A personal decision for many reasons, the two most defining are as follows;  the pull and the often visual attack from a streamer caught fish is to me the coolest thing in the sport, and secondly I thoroughly enjoy the challenges that streamers provide under various conditions presented.  This is especially true this season where we have experienced below average river flows and conditions that present all sorts of challenges. 

To get back on track, this particular watershed is not one typically associated with large quantities of trout, but one that can however cough up a river giant from time to time.  A true New England cobble stone filled fishery with the potential for a large brown is always intriguing to me, regardless of the river's size.  Did I mention that cobble filled rivers aren't the most pleasant to wade?

I know, to some this may sound like a recipe for disaster considering I live approximately 11 minutes from the upper TMA on the Farmington.  You're probably thinking why pass up a fish factory to target a river where the trout population in 15 miles may not even equal that of 1 mile to the Farmington? Too many reasons actually, but I will let you the reader figure out the answer to that riddle.

My first location didn't disappoint, a short walk through the thickets and I was on a long stretch of untouched water.  A large riffled bend dumping into a distinct bucket with a  pair of back eddies on either shore.  The obvious sweet seam was positioned at the head of the run and was created by a pair of semi submerged wheelbarrow sized boulders.  A nymph fishermans paradise, I was certain I could have put a hurtin' on some fish if I was drifting some weighted nymphs through the run, but I instead decided to stick to the game plan and launch streamers into the run.

On the second pass I managed one of three very nicely colored up Rainbows, and the fact that they all  ate a 4 inch jointed streamer made it that much more satisfying.

After thoroughly picking this piece of water apart, I headed to another pair of large pools of similar structure.  I wish I could say that they produced, but unfortunately they did not, only showing me a few fish that were only intersted in inspecting the fly and not so much into eating it.

Well, back to the vise I go, I just finished up some weighted nymphs last night and am about to starte a rather lengthy order of tiny nymphs with some big streamers mixed in.  My goal right now is to set aside a little time to fill my own stocks for some upcoming trips.  I anticipate on having some pictures up soon of what I am tying, and I also plan on putting the orders on hold soon so that I can tie up some stuff to bring for sale at the upcoming International Fly Tying Symposium.   And hey by the way, who ever said Rainbow's don't eat streamers...........

Blog Archive