The Rats Nest

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Streamer Class Yesterday

Honored, is the first word that comes to mind after yesterday's class.  For all of you who attended (we packed the house by the way), I am truly honored that you all came to the class and some of you drove from quite a ways away, getting up very early to make the trip.  That speaks volumes, and I am very gracious. 16 people in two classes is pretty cool, I wish I could have worked it out for those that had scheduling conflicts, drop a line when things calm down for you and we can maybe piece another class together.

Over the last 10 years, my involvement in Fly Fishing has given me the opportunity to cross paths with some very awesome people, I never would have guessed in a million years that fly fishing, my passion, would have presented me with so many wonderful opportunities, and the chance to make some great friendships along the way.  I guess when you truly love something, you shouldn't be surprised as good things will happen.

The class went a little longer than the first installment from a few weeks prior, but from what I gathered it was very well received.  A few of those in attendance actually reported back later in the day as they stayed out and fished streamers afterwards, and here is what they had to say.

"Rich,

Thanks again for the class today. I got a lot out of it, specifically how to read the water and how aggressively you need to work the fly.

I did get out afterward with Chris - Figured for ease of wading and access we'd hit the top of Church Pool. I dropped one and brought this guy to net on a yellow Zoo Cougar (brightest fly I had), both on the edge of the faster water on the west side of the river. No trophy, about 14", but success. Chris had the fish of the day, his year I think, I'm sure he already sent you the pic!

After that I went down to center riffle and switched to an olive hog snare, dropped one right in front of that rock in the middle where the two channels rejoin (heavy leaf hatch), moved two more where the back channel dumps in. Caught myself raising the rod instead of strip setting, but it was nice just to see and feel some action. Going to try and hit it early tomorrow......"

-Jason-
Photo credit Jason Shook




"Rich,

Caught this 18+ at church pool on a brown and red BS Swinger after class today.... Class was great...thanks again.."

-Chris-





Photo Credit Jason Shook








"Rich,

Just wanted to let you know that the class today was excellent. Power Point was full of information and on stream was eye opening. Don't remember learning more in such a short period of time...... Enjoy the Suds"

-Andrew-

Oh, and besides the great reports, I was also graciously given some wonderful brews from Andrew, and as you can tell, when I got home from work last night I couldn't help but have one.  I guess you could say it was a great day all around.

Wheat Ale and Double IPA  OH MAN!
Looks Even Better In That New Pint Glass

 ADDITIONS


"Hi, Rich.
Thank you for your excellent streamer class, and demonstration. It taught me a lot, and I’m glad I could share your experience.

After the class, I hit the spot you mentioned which is Spare Tire. I started fishing upstream on the left bank above from small island. As you said, a few cast on one spot, and move up few steps using Head Banger. No action at all. 17:30. started a lot of caddis hatching. it was very tempting to cast caddis fly after seeing more than a few trout taking those, but kept casting streamer. changed it into your mop head streamer that I tied for top water. I started casting it into deeper side of run aiming where I think there was submerged rocks. After a few cast, Bang! Mop head got smashed. Really good size, but it didn’t take it. As you said, waited a bit, and cast it dead drift. Bingo!!! It was quite heavy one with my cheap 5 weight mid flex rod. I enjoyed the fight. The guy below was quite fat healthy looking one. 19-20 inch because it was much bigger than my net. That was the only one I got that day but I really had fun. The one below was that one I got next day. big head but skinny body about 17inch.
Rich, I’d try to come up soon to practice streamer! Thanks again, see you soon!"

-Shinobu-(photo credits for all 6 following photos)








"Hey Rich,

Thanks again for the great streamer class on Saturday.  I have to say, when my alarm clock rang at 4:30 it took all I had not to snooze away.  But after I rubbed my eyes and realized I was about to expand my capacity as a fly fisherman, I was up and at 'em.  Your presentation was great and the on stream demo was even better.  I only wish we had more time to cover different pieces of water so it could gel even further in my mind.  Now all I need to do is get motivated, get a bugger beast and start filling up my box.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this aspect of fishing which always intrigued me.  It is rare that you come across people that are truly decent, w/o hidden agendas in fly fishing.  Thanks for being a stand up, trust worthy guy we need more people like you in the sport.

As far as the rest of my fishing day, I got 2 really thick browns in the 16-17" range on an articulated ice pick that I tied up in your tying class.  It was the barred grey over white.  Although I must say, I wish I had caught them differently.  The first one was was ripping through some soft water, the line got tight and I set, heavy fish.  When it first got to the surface I saw the dorsal fin horizontally and I knew that I had foul hooked it.  I would like to think he was going for the streamer and turned on it, but more than likely I just snagged it.  Removed the hook from it's flank, and right back in the water.  Then towards the end of my day, I was thinking about packing it in and the fly was just dangling behind me when all the sudden it got crushed.  It was still a nice fish.  I rarely get photos when I'm by myself.

Thanks again and see you at the tying symposium."

-Mike-

Blog Archive