The Rats Nest

Saturday, December 15, 2012

December 14, 2012......

Words cannot describe how many people in Connecticut feel right now after what transpired in the last 24 hours.  Several of us here have either had an indirect or direct connection with the horror that unfolded in Newtown yesterday morning, many peoples lives are forever changed, while others were cut short way too early. 

Many different feelings have run through my mind after yesterday; sadness, anger, helplessness to name a few.  I don't really think some people understand the sheer magnitude of what exactly happened, and that is not even the fault of their own, nobody really is prepared to deal with such a horrific event.   I guess it strikes home for me and many of the other people who live here as it happened so close to home. 

Thankfully, everyone in my family is safe, my friends as well, but I have many friends who are directly involved in that tragedy who have a very tough job to do.  I can't even imagine how they feel about any of this, especially those who are parents of young children like myself.  What I can say, is I don't think I really understood the true meaning and value of family and friends until yesterday.  I will admit that even though I see my loved ones everyday, something many of us do routinely, I never truly grasped just how much those close to me really matter to me until yesterday.  I can't even fathom how those parents are coping with the losses of their children, it is unthinkable and incomprehensible.

Do yourselves a favor this holiday season, slow down, stop for a second and recognize all that you are thankful for.  Hug your kids, call your close family and friends, let them know you care, don't take it all for granted, and never forget what happened yesterday, you just never know if and when pure evil could step into your life and change it forever. 

Most importantly, be kind to one another and try and focus on the positive things in life, and never forget to let those close to you in your life know that you love them.  My heart goes out to all the families who lost someone yesterday, and to all those families, friends, children, school faculty, first responders and various other personnel who are directly involved.   May God see you through this very tough time, and give you the strength and courage to persevere. 

Blog Archive