The Rats Nest

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Hot Topic, Farmington River Pipeline

I am first going to say this, I am not quite sure what the environmental impacts what I am about to discuss will have, but then again, if you research this issue online, I don't think anyone really knows as there isn't a lot of information about the subject at all. 

The gist of the story is, the MDC is supposedly working some proposal with Uconn Storrs to run a pipeline from the Barkhamsted and Nepaug Reservoirs across the state to the Mansfield Branch of Uconn.  Water is a hot commodity and the needs have increased to run the campus, and adequate resources are not close by from what I gather. 

What I have read thus far, is the term "Millions of Gallons" of water would be removed from the watershed to support this venture.  What I have also is the Barkhamsted Reservoir has a surplus of millions of gallons of water too, and seeing as how it is a supplemental watershed like Nepaug, as the river gets a bulk of its cold water from the Colebrook and Hogsback reservoirs, I don't quite know what the impacts are.  I guess I would like some explanation before I take a side on this matter, but from what I have read, it doesn't sound so good. 

At any rate, if you are greatly opposed to this proposal, look no further, the FRAA has generated a form letter that you can cut and paste and mail to the attached party.  If you feel strongly about this read on. 

To: Jason M. Coite

University of Connecticut – Office of Environmental Policy

31 LeDoyt Road,
U-3055 
Storrs, Connecticut 06269



    Mr. Coite, I am writing this letter to voice my concerns about the Metropolitan District Commission’s proposal to supply water to the Storrs area from the Barkhamsted and Nepaug Reservoirs via the Farmington River.  The Farmington River has become a world class fishery and recreational destination that brings a large number of visitors to the area, and money to local businesses.   This is only possible with a consistent and adequate supply of water.  The current proposal would remove millions of gallons of water from the river on a daily basis, the loss of which is sure to be harmful to its aquatic environment.  Recent dry seasons have resulted in extremely low water levels and dangerously high water temperatures, both of which would only become more pronounced with removal of such a large amount of water.  Future water levels are very difficult to predict and there are no guarantees that current averages will be sustained.  Please consider other less drastic, more local alternatives to supply water to UConn.

Thank you for your time in this very sensitive matter.


Respectfully,
                 

Blog Archive