The Rats Nest

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Video Review, The Stacked Deer Hair Diver By Pat Cohen

This past weekend I had the pleasure of spending a majority of my time at the Marlborough Fly Fishing Show with Deer Hair Master, Pat Cohen of www.rusuperfly.com.  Sharing a table with Pat, I was able to see up close his off the charts talent when it comes to tying with deer hair, and most notably, the art of stacking. 

Pat and I met a few years ago at the International Fly Tying Symposium, and this past fall we found that we both have several similar likes in the realm of fly fishing and tying.  Pat, in my opinion rewrote the script on stacking deer hair flies.  His passion for the subject is immediately evident when you watch him demonstrate the techniques that he employs, as his enthusiasm for chasing anything that will eat his creations. 

Deer hair is always a medium that seems to bewilder many, if not intimidate others when trying to tie with it.  I can attest to this as it took me a great deal of practice before I became good enough to continually pump out consistent patterns with the stuff myself.  I for one, have always enjoyed fishing and tying flies which employ this great material, but like anything, if I walk away from tying with it, I need a refresher to get back on track tying with it successfully. 

While at the show tying next to Pat, I picked up a copy of his new DVD, The Stacked Deer Hair Diver.  After watching this video in it's entirety, I can honestly say that every fly tier NEEDS a copy of this in their library.  Plain and simple, it's that good. 

Everything you need to know about tying a stacked deer hair diver is in this video; from the tools, materials, tips, tricks etc, everything is covered top to bottom.  Heck, Pat even designed his own Hair  Packer to pack the tightest bugs on the planet.  The video gives you all the tools you will need to attack any facet of stacking hair, and it is done clearly with multiple screen angles, and concisely, in a very easy to understand format.  Pat is an excellent teacher, and his ability to lead you through the entire process is second to none. 

I won't divulge too much as I don't want to ruin the video, but I can honestly say if stacking deer hair gives you the fits, this video will answer all of your questions.  Do yourself a favor, if you're at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show this weekend, swing by Pat's table and pick up this video, or order online at his fly store, you won't be disappointed.  My deer hair bugs have gotten better already and I can thank Pat's video for making it easier.

Blog Archive