The Rats Nest

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bait N Switch

Between work, starting the book project, completing the last couple of orders left on the table from last month, answering emails, and balancing the most important part; family, I managed to brush everything aside and get some head clearing water time.  As usual I started early with big guns and then switched it up for a change. 
Speckled Caddis

The streamer bite was slow but I managed a couple of nice fish on the big bugs before I realized it was time to change it up.

A Caddis Upside Down
The caddis have been nothing short of prolific this spring in my neck of the woods, and I haven't had the opportunity to take part in the fray.  Seeing various colors and sizes about, I figured it would be fitting to see if I could tempt a few browns with some pupa patterns.  One problem though, due to filling everyone's fly boxes but my own these last couple years, I neglected to check my own personal stocks and managed to be stream side with about 6 tan colored pupa, but an array of all the other colors.  Wouldn't you know it, the hot color just so happened to be the tan one today too, go figure. 
The Fly That Saved The Day

Luckily I managed to escape the day with a couple tan pupa to spare, but before I lost a few of the trusty 6, I managed some nice fish too.  I hadn't fished my Classified Caddis Pupa in a couple of seasons, and boy was I happy I broke her out today.  You ever fish a really hot fly only to forget about it for a while?  This pupa was my bread and butter when I was guiding and she never did disappoint.  Evidently she hasn't lost anything as she drummed up some quality fish today.  It felt kinda dirty drifting nymphs for a change.  I will be the first to admit that I have been fully consumed with throwing large streamers and swinging for the fence pretty much all the time.  It was nice to rest the shoulder from slinging big junk, replacing the 8 weight with a 4 weight. 

I guess you could say it was like swinging a Louisville slugger for 4 innings then changing over to a wiffle ball bat for the last 5 frames.  At any rate, look below and you'll catch my drift, you'll also figure out by the number of shots which brown I had a lot of love for. 




In the meantime, the store will be back up in running soon, and with a few additions too. 

Blog Archive