The Rats Nest

Monday, December 30, 2013

Ending 2013 On A High Note

When an idea at the vise creeps up in your head, you gotta strike while the irons hot.  Two nights ago, I had one of those moments, and a little free time to boot.  So you guessed it, I put the two together and managed to rip out a fly that was  exactly what I was imagining.
Kype Nasty

In a nutshell, I was looking for an alternative bottom oriented articulated/weighted streamer that could fill in for the Headbanger Sculpin when the going got tough.  My thoughts were to create a pattern that was a little more streamlined, heavier (ya you read that right) to penetrate through even the deepest and heaviest water.  The last thing that is very important, is the fly must be tied in under 10 minutes.  I have made this my number one focus moving forward on all my larger streamers, I guess you could say that is my forward challenge in 2014.   What I came up with actually only took about 6 minutes to tie which is pretty good for a two part jointed pattern, and I really think this one will earn a spot in the rotation, but I guess the pictures might have me a bit biased.
Mouthful Of Mystery Goodness...

About 8:30 that night I had my idea dialed in and it just so happened I was going to be river bound the next day, and what better than giving the fly some water time to see if she behaves as intended.  It just so happens this fly didn't disappoint.  In the first run I threw the fly in I dropped a fairly nice brown who annihilated the fly on the drop after an aggressive strip.  The dreaded drop hit got me good and there I was shaking like a leaf after my fly was rocked by a buttery beast.  At the end of the day under some pretty decent conditions the fly went 2 for 4, landing 2 and dropping the same as the strikes were on the drop while the fly was dropping after a retrieve.  When you get two fish that combine for 48" of trout, one a couple inches bigger than the other, I guess you could say that it was worth it.

It was a good start, and the fly has a lot of promise, I guess time will tell on that one.  I plan on working out some different color combos on this guy and running her through the paces this next season while I work out a good name for her.

On another note, I would like to thank everyone who participated in the year long contest to win a stuffed bugger beast of meaty streamers.  JT Lauer was the winner and the proud recipient of a box of "Meat" as us streamer fanatics like to call it.  Congratulations JT, hope you put these big dogs to work!  Here's to many memorable fish in 2014, and a safe and Happy New Year!

Blog Archive