Slate Drake Nymph

October Caddis

DDT Nymph

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Better Late Than Never...

In hopes of gathering some photos for one of the chapters I just completed, I headed out to the "Skills" to fish with my good friend Mike.  We see to have lost out last year, so now is the time to make up for it.
 I had hoped to get some pictures for one of the chapters I currently finished, and Mike gladly offered to help out.  We had some nice opportunities on the surface, even though they were very short lived and few.

Is it me or does it feel like this winter still just doesn't want to unleash us from her nasty grip?  I can't remember the last time it was April 28th and I hadn't fished a solid Hendrickson hatch already.  I hate to say it, but I don't think we are going to have much of a spring here in the northeast, looks like it will be one of those years when summer just happens leaving us all wondering where the hell spring went. 

To make up for lost time last year, I've made it a point to make regular trips when time permits to the Catskills this season.  Every time thus far has been with fingers crossed hoping the weather cooperates and the bug activity gets going.  I have found so far I am continually repeating myself;  "Just another week, it'll happen next week".  Almost like groundhog day so to speak, that phrase keeps flowing freely from my mouth, only to find another week pass and the same outcome, very few bugs and little to no fish rising. 

This time however, a small window of feeding activity greeted us and we managed to put a few nice browns in the net, even if we had to fish size 18 dries instead of what we were hoping for.  Well, here it goes again, "Just another week, it'll happen

Blog Archive