The Rats Nest

Monday, May 19, 2014

Back To Where It All Began......


I've got to admit, what I'm about to share is something that never gets old to me.  Most of you that follow this blog recognize my affinity to streamers, and chasing aggressive fish.  What you may not know however, is my love of every facet of fishing for trout with a fly rod.  What I seem to love more these days is the solitude that one can find on water that others are less apt to journey out to.

Is it due to laziness, lack of numbers or sheer size of the fish that inhabit those parts that deters many from taking part?  Maybe the effort it takes to get to some of these places isn't perceived to be worth it for many when they weigh the possible rewards.  Either way, to me there just isn't a price tag for solitude and native brook trout, and whatever the effort it may take to find it, it is always well worth the risk for a variety of reasons.

I grew up in the foothills of the Berkshires in southwestern Massachusetts, the waters that I frequented as a child were lesser known, off the beaten path native brook trout strongholds.   Many of them you could easily jump across, or traverse the boulders that are so cleverly placed about the waters that fill their banks to get to the other side.  What they may have lacked in size, they made up for in beauty and surprise.  Every time I am fortunate enough to spend some time on them, I really get to appreciate the simpler side of life, while also realizing how much satisfaction these little gems can bring. 

Whenever I get down, and need a pick me up, these little secret places always have a way of getting me back on my feet, clearing my racing head, and bringing back my focus.  They also make me realize several things about being a fisherman; it's not always about the biggest fish, catching the most, or constantly having to prove your ability.  These places force me to slow down, take a deep breath and live a little, while also recognizing how insignificant one really is in the grand scheme of things.   Fishing will always be there, these types of places may not.

They're really not too many things that equal the beauty of a native brook trout.  I may be biased, but I have good reason to be, and my thoughts on this topic will never waiver.

Today was a day of reflection, exertion, some fish and of course the mind numbing roar of rushing water.  As far as I am concerned, nothing comes close in comparison.  When ever I can rope a good workout of hiking rugged terrain, some beautiful fish, great scenery, decent food and a camera full of memories, I call that a success.  Hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I do, for now, I'll be longing for my next trip into the woods....

Blog Archive