The Rats Nest

Monday, July 21, 2014

Making Up For Lost Time....


Had a day to myself today, and what better way to spend it reacquainting myself with my home waters.  I guess you could say I was in serious need of a trout fix, so I put the trophy stick away for a change and opted for a numbers rig instead.  A close friend of mine was breaking my stones recently saying that I probably couldn't buy a fish on a nymph anymore as I'd rather throw a 6 inch streamer instead.   Always up for the challenge, or maybe he had me wondering if that was the case, either way I gave it a shot and fished nymphs most of the day with great success.  I guess I haven't lost my touch so to speak, but hey who cares.

In the end, I had a pretty awesome day on the water with only mild pressure to say the least.  I managed to gather a generous sampling of what the river has to offer in a variety of shapes and sizes.  One thing I will note, many of the insect reports that I have read for the river are about 50% correct, so pay attention to whats out there.   Many of today's trout fell to a variety of small to larger nymphs making for a great day overall.  I can't quite tell you exactly how I made out, but it was a bountiful day for fish, and a nice way to spend a hot July day.  Hot flies were DDT's, Micro Stones, Rock Candy's in golden, and Crane Fly Larva,  Enjoy the photos.....













Blog Archive