The Rats Nest

Monday, December 8, 2014

Fly Tying Classes, 1 Down 3 To Go

This past Saturday I hosted the first of four tying classes at my local shop,  Upcountry Services in New Hartford.   As usual things went off without a hitch (or half hitch no pun intended).  The bulk of the class focused on a handful of patterns that I would never leave home without, and that with some slight modifications in color and size, can cover a wide variety of insects.
This Weekends Haul From Class

In the class we covered eight(8) patterns,  mostly nymphs, with a couple of dry flies thrown in, that day in and day out just put fish in the net.  I was fortunate enough to have a rather enthusiastic group who held their own on the vise and asked a lot of relevant questions pertaining to each fly covered. 
Saturday's Group

By days end a couple of new class ideas came to fruition for the following season, and I think once I get through this coming Saturdays class, I will diligently be working on building a couple of fresh tying curriculum's for the new year.  Several of those in attendance had also inquired about conducting more on stream classes around a variety of topics, and after some deep discussion with Torrey and Grady, I think you will see us collectively iron out a few classes along those lines next season as well.  Once we dial in the finer details, look for some announcements here and on the Upcountry Services website and Facebook pages in the months to come. 

Lastly, I realize it has been nearly 10 months since I last shot and posted a fly tying video.  I apologize now to you all, as I plan on getting this rectified this week with hopes of launching something new while winter is upon us.  Bear with me for a few days while I try to relearn the entire process as a result of being away for so long.  I am hopeful it is just like riding a bike, but I won't really know until I kick the dust off my video camera and get things going.  I plan on bringing back those videos on a regular basis, and they will cover a wide variety of patterns as I have a bunch on tap that I want to cover.  Check back soon for some fresh material. 

Blog Archive